Astrology literally means the ‘Study of Stars’. Long ago astrology and astronomy were considered one subject, in modern times however, the two have separated. Astrology now falls into a branch of science classified as metaphysics and is based off the principle that the locations and movements of planetary bodies have an influence or effect on us and the world we live in. It is important to know that astrology does not predict the future, instead it helps us interpret our natural characteristics, understand our feelings, and know what energies will have a dominate effect with our decision making. When most people hear the term ‘Astrology’ they think of their ‘Sign’. The full term for this is the ‘Sun Sign’, and it is the most basic form of astrology practiced. A sun sign is determined by where the sun was at your time of birth. There are twelve signs in total, and each sign spans a specific number of days. Whether the person is born near the beginning, middle, or end of that time frame can have an effect on how the sign affects them.
- Aries (March 21 – April 20): Aries is depicted as a symbol representing the face and horns of a ram. Common traits of this sign are being aggressive, extroverted, impulsive, and courageous. People who fall under this sign are often said to ‘Fly by the seat of their pants’ and to ‘Jump before they look’.
- Taurus (April 21 – May 20): The symbol for this sign is the round face of a bull with horns. Those who are classified as a Taurus are often said to be introverted, practical, stable, cautious and stubborn. If this is your sign you are likely more interested in setting up a stable safe routine for yourself, rather than delving into random, unexpected adventures.
- Gemini (May 21 – June 21): As Gemini is classified as a mutable sign – a sign that occurs during two months bordering a season – it is represented by two vertical and two horizontal lines, symbolizing twins. Geminis are said to be extroverted, flirtatious, and to be gifted with language and speech for effective communication and persuasion. Because Geminis can also be emotionally unavailable or detached, they may be said to have commitment issues.
- Cancer (June 22 – July 22): Cancer’s glyph is comprised of what is said to be two breasts, representing it’s caring nature. The sign is often pictured as a crab, whose ability to walk sideways is indicative of how Cancerians are said to move about and ‘March to the beat of their own drum.’ People under this sign are, at times considered to be very complex, as outwardly they may appear emotionally unavailable though inwardly they are very sensitive and feeling. One of the most common traits for this sign is said to be its strong sense of family instinct.
- Leo (July 23 – August 23): Leo is represented by glyph consisting of a circle with a wavy line, indicating a lion’s head and it’s full mane. Leos are stubborn and full of pride, but are also known to be extremely generous and to take great care of those they are close to. Imagine a lioness and her cub, Leos are fierce and loyal.
- Virgo (August 24 – September 22): The symbol for Virgo is a letter ‘M’ with another loop crossing over itself, indicating the crossed legs of a virgin. Virgos are another of the mutable signs, and therefore can be said to be courageous yet introverted, stable yet freedom loving, and analytical yet creative.
- Libra (September 23 – October 22): Librans symbolize balance and are therefore, represented by a scale held by a human hand, it’s glyph is seen as a setting sun. If you are a Libra, you are likely to be known for your dizzying intellect and chivalrous manner. Justice and doing the right thing are very important to a Libran, and therefore they strive for equilibrium and harmony.
- Scorpio (October 23 – November 22): Depicted by the letter ‘M’ with a tale for the stinger of a scorpion, this sign is said to be magnetic, emotional and intense. Scorpios play hard, work hard, and love hard. Those that fall under this sign have a propensity for large families and many children.
- Sagittarius (November 23 – December 21): The bow and arrow of the archer make up the symbol for this sign. Sagittarius is another of the mutable signs and therefore encourages movement and change. Having little patience for details, if you are a Sagittarian you tend to focus more on the bigger picture. Tactless and blunt, yet incredibly intelligent and wise, those under this sign are often infamous for their innovation and ideas.
- Capricorn (December 22 – January 20): Symbolized by a goat with a fishtail, Capricorns are dutiful, patient, and practical. Those who fall under this sign may prefer staying home with their safe routine, rather than heading out for an adventure.
- Aquarius (January 21 – February 19): This sign is depicted by two wavy lines, symbolizing water and the water-bearer. Just as the myth surrounding the constellation for this sign is said to pour water into the world, Aquarians are said to pour their intellect into their surroundings. Those who fall under this sign are often progressive visionaries who genuinely care about making the world a better place for all.
- Pisces (February 20 – March 20): Symbolized by two opposing curved lines joined in the middle, Pisces is often pictured as two fish facing in opposite directions. This is one of the four mutable signs and is most notably characterized by its tenants being very adaptable. Pisces are sensitive, compassionate, and selfless.
Along with the different classes of sun signs, there are many other categories that influence and impact an astrological chart. For example, there are thirteen planets read in astrology. These planets consist of more bodies than the average person learns in school: the Sun, the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Chiron, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, the North Node and the South Node. Each planetary body is associated with specific characteristics. Notice that the Earth is not included in this list, as it is the location of your origin.
There are also twelve different houses that account for different life stages or aspects of life. In western astrology the houses have no specific titles other than being called first, second, third and so on. A planet can be in a house, opposing a house, neighboring a house, and so on. To go with the different houses there are also six different pairs of house polarities. Polarities explain the relationship that these items have due to their opposite ends on their spectrums. To have a more in-depth evaluation of a person there are many aspects of astrology that must be considered. A professional astrologer can calculate your full chart by using information such as where you were born and the day, month, year, and even time of your birth. Given the intricate relationship between each category involved, astrology is not a subject learned quickly. That being said, it is certainly captivating and there is a wealth of information available to beginners.
We are always on the look for interesting information about astrology, psychic prediction and fortune telling in general and we would like to thank the leading astrology website, PowerFortunes.com for the wealth of information they have provided.